Saturday, April 18, 2009

Kings of the Mat - Newspaper Article- March 2009

Written by: Garren Riechel 
For year, SHS wrestling has been closely associated with the Perry family.  But now, the sport may have another dominating name.  Micah, Mark and Ammon Morrill all were a part of the SHS wrestling team this past season.  Not only is it rare for three siblings to be on the same sports team, but the Morrill brothers all competed on varsity. 
Originally from Camano Island, The Morrills moved to Illinois in 2004, only to move back to Snohomish in 2008. And if that insn't crazy enough, Micah, Mark and Ammon are only the oldest three of seven kids, Micah being the oldest (a junior), followed by sophomore Mark, and freshman Ammon.
All three were quick to point to their father, Rob Morrill, as the person who kick-started their wrestling career. "Wrestling has been something that's been in my family for a while, " said Rob, as his father (Micah, Mark and Ammon's Grandfather) was a wrestling coach. "I got them into the little league program when they were younger, much like most parents will sign their kids up for little league baseball or basketball," said their father.
The trio of wrestlers not only got an early start, they also have had a mat-room for themselves in their house for five years.  Mark said his dad "loves to pull us aside in the wrestling room and help us do drills and develop better skills." 
"Micah, as the oldest, has to take a natural role of leadership," said Coach Zabel.  "A lot of time it's challenging (being the oldest). Sometime I don't like it. Sometimes, I Love it," said Micah, summarizing his role of being  the oldest Morrill. However, when it comes to having bretheren on varsity alongside him, "I love it!" said Micah, "Actually, it was one of the coolest things ever. It was probably one of the best wresting memories I've had, wrestiling with all of them on varsity."
Although he said that they may not be as focused as him, Micah gave credit to both of his brohers as being "very hard workers. They have great personalities; I love them, he added, " and also, they're both single."
The sophmore, Mark "is very relaxed. He likes to think things through," said Zabel.  Reflecting on his brother-teammates, Mark said, " At first, it was kind of weird having brothers on the team. When your've got that kind of competition, it really helps your perfomance." Although he may be relaxed, Mark is also very determined. "I plan on going to State in the future, and I plan to win," he said with all seriousness.
Mark, as Zabel commented, likes to think about everything, and has even analyzed his brothers' wrestling styles. "Micah is an interesting match," reflected Mark.  "He's quick to execute his plan, and is very steadfast. Ammon, on the other hand, hasn't developed his own style of wrestling yet."  However, he still admits that Ammon has some "crazy moves and doesn't like losing." and so has a good chance of improving in years to come.
"Ammon is a goofball, he loves attention. He even names moves after himself," laghed Zabel.  Ammon did not start on varsity team, but eventually moved up to the same level of his two brothers. "It's pretty cool being on varsity with my brothers, but there is a lot of pressure. And my brother's like to kinda mess with me sometimes," said Ammon, "but usually  it's really nice. Whenever I wrestle they come up and give me tips and tell me how to act and everything.  It's really nice that they're looking out for me." 
Ammon respects his older brothers, especially Micah. "He's really cool," said Ammon, " I love watching him wrestle.  He's just really cool and help's me a lot." He said he also looks up to Mark, but laughed at the same time, saying, "Mark's just a big sofie."
Overall, "They're good kids," said Zabel. Rob Morrill agrees, and said "I'm just proud of my boys... All of them.  It's cool to see them grow into student-athletes and young men."

3 comments:

  1. That is such an awesome article! I am so proud of those boys- I can't even explain it. Those cute little boys grew up into such amazing young men. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article! Hooray for the Morrill boys, Dad and Mom too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun article! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete